Adie’s Winter Warmer
This is a very simple but filling soup which takes minimal cooking, leaving us with plenty of time to sit down and reflect on what we have been up to during the day. This recipe also works well if you want to add some leftover meat shredded up and thrown in to warm through, chicken or gammon are my favourites
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 500ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 x 410g cans mixed beans in water, drained
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then gently soften the garlic without colouring. Tip in the swede, carrots and two-thirds of the thyme, then pour in the stock and milk. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins.
- Ladle a third of the soup into a blender, whizz until smooth, then pour back into the pan along with the beans. Check for seasoning, then return to the heat and warm through.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining thyme and some warm, crusty bread rolls.
Enjoy your soup everyone!